How Long Do Car Batteries Last?
How long do car batteries last? Under ideal conditions, they can last anywhere from 4-6 years, though several factors can affect your battery’s lifespan like driving habits, temperature, and human error.
Check out this guide from Bohn Toyota and contact us today to learn more about your battery as well as tips and tricks for keeping it healthy during your drives around Harvey, Metairie, and New Orleans.
Signs Your Car Battery is Dying
There are several signs you can look for that may indicate how much longer your car battery will last:
- Dashboard Lights: Keep an eye on the malfunction indicator display on your dashboard. If you see a symbol that looks like an exclamation mark in a triangle, this is the Master Warning Light. If the light is solid and is not accompanied by a chime, there may be an electrical system malfunction. Have your car checked by a Toyota technician as soon as possible.
- Corrosion Build up: It’s a good idea to check out the situation under the hood every month to make sure everything is in working order. If you notice any corrosion on the battery or a swollen battery case, your battery may be leaking or experiencing an adverse chemical reaction that requires attention.
- Electrical Component Issues:Your battery is responsible for powering many electrical components in your vehicle, including your A/C, windows, radio, windshield wipers, and headlights. If you notice that any of these systems are dimmed or malfunctioning, you may want to have your battery tested.
- Engine Startup Issues: It takes a lot of energy to start your car, so startup issues can be an early sign that your battery is dying.
Be sure to check out our service specials to save on your next maintenance appointment…
Tips for Making your Car Battery Last Longer
It you want to make your car battery last longer, there are a few simple tips you can use that have been shown to potentially prolong battery life:
- Keep Short Rides to a Minimum: Shorter rides prevent your battery from fully charging. If you don’t drive often aside from running short errands here-and-there, try to do them all at the same time to increase your drive time.
- Secure Your Battery: Being jostled around by uneven roadways and other kinds of turbulence can cause internal damage to your battery. Check your battery often and make sure that it’s secure in the mounting bracket.
- Turn the Lights OffDo your best to avoid using electrical equipment when your engine is idle. This can drain the battery very quickly. When you exit the car for the night, be sure you’ve turned off your headlights and all internal lights.
- Control the Temperature: Keep in mind that external temperatures above 90 degrees Fahrenheit can easily cause your battery to overheat. Since we live in a warm area, it’s important to do what you can to keep your car cool. If possible, store it in a climate-controlled garage.
- Have it Cleaned and Tested Often: Every time you stop by your dealership’s service center, request that the technicians clean and test the battery to ensure that it’s healthy and in good shape.
Learn More about How Long Car Batteries Last
We hope we were able to answer the question, “How long do car batteries last?” If you want to learn more about your car battery or need a battery replacement, let the service center at Bohn Toyota help.
Drivers near Harvey, New Orleans, and Metairie can contact our service center to schedule a maintenance appointment today!